Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Twelve Days of Christmas - Day 2

It's the second day of my Twelve Days of Christmas period and sadly, I have no Turtle Doves to offer. But instead, I have this card which I've called Joy, Joy, Joy.

Once again it features Magenta's My Christmas Tree / Mon Arbre and it is again using turqouise and copper. But this time, I've also added white and silver.

The image is stamped onto silver metal shim. You could use a silver pie plate or a Milo tin seal for this technique and it would look equally as good. After tracing the stamped image with a metal stylus, I painted the shim with 2 very light coats of Pearlescent Turquoise Lumiere paint, leaving the silver of the tree to show through. That really helps to draw your eye to the main image.

The hanging stars are cut from copper-coloured shim which I've stamped with a metal alphabet set and they're attached with copper embroidery floss to the silver lurex ribbon running up the side of the card. I attached Christmas wrapping paper to the card front and the layer in the middle is once again Cuttlebugged copper mirror board.

And finally, I added a few brown crystals to the tree to tie it all together.

Check back tomorrow to see what I come up with for Day 3.

Would you like to comment?

  1. I've always said, the more metal there is on a card, the more artistic it is...

    Did you use the stylus on the back or the front of the shim? It looks like the back, but I can't work out how you'd do that...

    So I hope you don't mind if I heckle you all through this project? It's more fun than housework...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pauline,
    Glad to see you're coming along for the journey... it's guaranteed to be more fun than housework!

    Now that WOULD be a good trick to learn. If you ever discover how to do it, please teach me! I'm afraid I don't know that trick so I traced the tree with the stylus from the front - I think the light from the scanner is playing a little trick on our eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you CAN stamp on the back of the shim and stylus it from there. Works really badly on text stamps though.

    Another thought is, stamp on the front, then hold the shim up to the light, squint real hard, and use the stylus from there.

    If it doesn't work immediately, squint harder...

    (runs away giggling)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by today. Your comment is really appreciated.