Monday, November 29, 2010

Precious Metal?!!,

Can anyone guess what metal this is?
Is it:
A - Brass
B - Copper
C - Bronze?

The answer is at the bottom of the post. But I hope you'll read on to learn the story behind this cameo.

I found this beautiful piece whilst digging around in my studio this afternoon. Only, when I found it, it didn't look anything like this. You see, it started out life looking much more like resin.... clear resin which I'd marbled with red pigment. It was actually quite hideous. I'd already attempted to alter it's appearance once before by coating it with black alcohol ink and Krylon Gold Leafing Pen. It was a huge improvement but something had reactivated the alcohol ink and it was bleeding everywhere. So I gave it a good clean up with methylated spirits to return it to it's original colour.

With a clean slate I started again. This time I brushed on a coat of antiquing solution to give it a bit of definition. And then, out came the Rub 'n Buff. Firstly Amethyst, followed by Patina and finally Gold Leaf. I buffed after each colour, building up layers of colour and then I buffed it some more. There are patches of the original resin colour showing through too, which has added to it's very aged appearance.

And now, it's completely transformed.

I didn't take a before shot but here's a similar looking piece so you can see where this piece started out. Rub 'n Buff has turned this piece, which almost went into the trash, into a treasure. And with the addition of a brass stamping and chain, it looks more like an antique.

So perhaps, my question was a little bit misleading. I guess the correct answer is:
D - None of the above!

I think I might do a little more digging in my studio to see what other treasures I might find buried.

'Til next time.....








If you can't get enough of My Tutorials and you want even more inspiration, click here to find my books and printable pdfs



Would you like to comment?

Thanks for stopping by today. Your comment is really appreciated.