Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Siren of the Sea

I can't believe how quickly this necklace and earring set came together. My original idea for the Czech Glass seashell beads was a much more casual design but when I found the lapis lazuli and pyrite beads I could see something quite different. But the silver filigree dictated that this design would be much more structured than what I'd originally had in mind. It works really well with the very platinum coloured pyrite or fools gold as it is known - gold that is not quite gold and yet not quite silver!

When I laid the lapis beads out on my bead mat around the filigree, I liked the way the eyepins were radiating out from the filigree but I wasn't sure that they'd sit at that angle once they were attached. But what I discovered was that because the holes in the filigree were a long way from the edges, gravity couldn't make the eyepins fall straight down but instead they sat at the angle I wanted. Dare I say it, but I've defied gravity!

For the earrings though, gravity is just doing its thing and the lapis beads sit nicely against the seashell on the bottom of the eyepins. They have just enough movement to make them interesting.
It was a lot of fun selecting these beads and then turning them into finished jewellery and I would like to thank Auntie's Beads for providing me with them. Please check out their selection to see what other interesting beads you can find.

'Til next time.....








If you can't get enough of My Tutorials and you want even more inspiration, click here to find my books and printable pdfs



Would you like to comment?

Thanks for stopping by today. Your comment is really appreciated.