Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Licorice Allsorts - a modern twist on a traditional lolly

Remember the suitcase bonbonniere I showed you a couple of weeks back? Well at last, they're finished.... all 50 plus of them. And in plenty of time to pack them ready for the trip to Adelaide!
Well actually, they weren’t quite finished because they still needed to be filled with some of my Dad's favourite things: licorice allsorts and a jigsaw puzzle thank you note. And that couldn’t be done until after a visit to the Central Market to find the best licorice allsorts in town.
So which will it be: the traditional striped and layered allsorts?
Or the less traditional but very licoricy chunky allsorts?
Hmmm.... it was no competition really. The chunky ones are Dad's favourite so chunky ones it will be.
As soon as I got into Adelaide on Friday morning, I headed straight to the markets in the city and made a beeline to Blackeby’s sweets stall where I bought a whopping 1.25kg of the chunky licorice allsorts. Yes, you read that right – 1.25 kilograms! That’s 2½ lbs in case you're not familiar with the metric system.
All that was left to do was bag the licorice allsorts and add the thank you note (which I'd cut into a jigsaw puzzle with a Cuttlebug die). And to complete them I wrapped them with two strips of satin ribbon and glued on some studs.
They were certainly a talking point at the party as all the guests reminisced about the newspaper printed onto the boxes. Using the paper from the day Dad was born was a real hit!
Oh, and in case you're wondering, I taste tested one of each colour licorice allsort just to make sure that they tasted alright! Yumm! 

'Til next time.....









If you can't get enough of My Tutorials and you want even more inspiration, click here to find my books and printable pdfs



Would you like to comment?

Thanks for stopping by today. Your comment is really appreciated.